KCCNA Research Travel Grants
KCCNA Research Travel Grants
The Korean Collections Consortium of North America (KCCNA) is pleased to announce the KCCNA Research Travel Grants to assist Korean Studies students and scholars worldwide in their use of specialized library resources at the thirteen KCCNA member universities. Funded by generous grants from the Korea Foundation for three years from 2018-2020, this research travel grant program is open to anyone in the world except for those in Korea who already have access to extensive Korean resources. See the list of members and their specialized collections at goo.gl/pfqGeH. The proposal deadline for the current cycle is January 31, 2020.
- Description and Purpose
The Korean Collections Consortium of North America (KCCNA) was created in 1992 with generous grants from the Korea Foundation. Its members cooperatively develop and share specialized Korean Studies scholarly resources and provide library services to a wider audience beyond their own academic communities. Current membership consists of the thirteen largest Korean Studies academic libraries in the US and Canada. The KCCNA Research Travel Grants program was created to assist scholars who need to travel a long distance in order to access the resources and services of KCCNA member libraries.
This program is open to anyone in the world except for those in Korea who already have access to extensive Korean resources.
- Selection Criteria
While we will consider all applications based on the strengths of the research proposal and the target library’s overall ability to support the research, applications that address the following criteria will receive preferential review:
- Describe how your research topic (on Korea or Koreans) can benefit from KCCNA’s specialized resources, along with a list of specific resources you wish to use, including the links or the call numbers if applicable.
- The need for onsite research at the target library (why that particular library and not elsewhere?)
- Justifications for travel for access (any other means for access such as online or ILL?)
- Participating Libraries in 2020
- Columbia University ●Duke University ●Harvard University ●Princeton University
- Stanford University ●University of California-Berkeley ●University of California-Los Angeles ●University of Chicago ●University ofHawaii ●University of Michigan
- University of Southern California ●University of Toronto ●University of Washington
The grant amount will be up to $1,500 for a scholar who needs to travel within continental North America, and up to $2,500 for scholars overseas or those to/from Hawaii.
- Schedule for 2020
- January 31: Deadline for applications
- March 16: Notification of awards
- August 31: Deadline for the use of the grant
- Requirements for the Grant Recipients
- Submit a brief activity report (goo.gl/9FgtkH) and an expense report with receipts within two weeks of the research visit.
- Works resulting from the KCCNA Research Grant must acknowledge the grant in all publications and/or presentations.
- Gift copies of all publications resulting from the grant must be submitted to the host Library.
If this is not possible, citations must be reported to KCCNA and to the host Library.
- Applications will be accepted in English or Korean.
- Applications will be reviewed by a panel of KCCNA librarians.
- Visit schedules must be coordinated with the host librarian.
- Grant awards will be provided on a reimbursement basis based on appropriate receipts. Reimbursable expenses include: airfares, ground transportation to/from the airport, and lodging. All other expenses will not be eligible for reimbursement.
- The Consortium or the host library will not provide any assistance for visas.
- Application Form and Deadline
- Applications will be accepted online at: https://tinyurl.com/KCCNAGrantApplication2020
● Deadline: January 31, 2020
KCCNA Research Travel Grant Committee (Chair – Joy Kim, University of Southern California)